Catch and Release

Connections to the River

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Patience and Persistence

Fly Fishing is a simple art.  The most important part of the time on the water is mental awareness. A balance of one's mind will lead to the biggest rewards. Catching trout is what I do, the hook-up is only a small part of the satisfaction. Of course being skunked is not good, but it does happen to everyone. Going out to fish with low expectations gives me the balance to not be in turmoil when the skunk finds me. It is exhilarating to catch the first fish, and no matter the size or species. It's the first fish that frees the spirit. Many things make me feel great when I fish. I love the exercise for my body, the peace of mind coming from being away from the highways of the modern world. Fly Fishing is a puzzle and all pieces are of equal value. I am a finder, and always when I wander along the river, my senses are highly active. Wildlife often appears with out warning and it should be expected! I often find things that other's have lost, or several times I have stumbled upon "sheds" (antlers) along the way. Fly boxes fall out of peoples pockets and I have had the good fortune to find more than one during a season. Deer, moose, elk, toads, rabbits, beavers,mink, muskrats,snakes and birds use the river and it is good fortune to encounter them. Bears are around as well as mountain lions, so I want to be aware!
 Elk watching
Mama Moose 

 
The first fish can be a huge surprise!

Camouflaged 
World Famous in Ovando Montana

1 comment:

  1. Yup. You are a finder ,same goes to me. I'm a finder too & sense too. we needed that to insensitive to the wild life.. it great you are back to shape uncle jim & be aware around you, please take care, your wild life are more exciting then my..

    ReplyDelete

Give me feed back, makes it better...