Catch and Release

Connections to the River

Saturday, February 21, 2015

February Cut Throat Adventure

At my age, many days start off slow, I need to eat well, have my coffee and if fishing is my goal, dressing for success is critical. On Wednesday  I took time for a mid-winter walk along the river, to a stretch that normally is snow bound and tricky to navigate.  This season, our snow came en mass early, November and December were very cold and snowy. But January became spring like, and for the first time in years the weather and temperatures gave me a green light to head down to the river. The fishing has been good as long as the night time temperatures have stayed below freezing, the warmer temperatures cause melting and run-off, slowing down the bite.
On Wednesday, I took off for the river, aiming for a stretch that I have never fished in Winter. I had a great place to park my truck, and the snow was sparse.  My hike was great.  Navigation was easy, I could see all the markers of the trail, and the snow was still crusty, giving me the benefit of not sinking with every step. I knew what I would try as far a flies, but as I reached the furthest section, nothing was biting. I mean I threw every nymph, streamer, and emerger I had, but no bites at all.  I was feeling rather bummed by the fishing, but was totally excited by what the river was showing me as I moved along. I moved back down stream to a creek inlet, and realizing that lots of food was coming into the river there, I struck gold .  The Cut throats were sitting in wait and my San Juan Worm was just what they were looking for! What a great feeling to pull in some fish again. I switched to a black wooly bugger, to imitate brown trout fry and got another fish. Normally the brown trout fry don't become a great food source until spring.
 The snow receeded back and gave great visibility through the area

 The feeder streams push food into the main river
 Seeing the woods and the trail

 I never mess around with other peoples endeavors.I could have easily taken home a pelt, but the picture was enough.  
 Beaver ponds have been expanding each season lately!

 The cut throat trout, soon to start spawning as spring time arrives. These wild trout travel far every spring to spawn in the upper reaches of the river. 

My friend Sebastiao Rigues, a Brazilian fly tyer took my photo of the caterpillar and has created a great imitation. He is sending me one to become a compliment to my photo! Thank you to Sebastiao! Follow him on Facebook to see many wonderful creations.
Thank you all for taking time to enjoy a moment with me. Life is great!
Jim...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me feed back, makes it better...