Catch and Release

Connections to the River

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Fishing:a beginner and always a novice!





     My first fishing catches were so good, I remember them after nearly six decades. A cane pole, a cork float and a big shrimp.  Those days on the jetties of Boliver, Texas thrilled this boy and I was forever to be a water man! I vividly recall the huge hammer head sharks hanging by their tails as the  commercial fishermen unloaded their catch! When I became a teenager, my granddaddy took me out in his boat to catch sea run trout. We launched the boat near the jetties and headed out a mile or so!
    I had never experienced the thrill of fishing way out on the ocean with a real rod and reel. When the summer vacation was over, we returned to California and I resumed my surfing years.  It wasn't a fishing addiction until we moved to North Bend Washington in 1984.  It was fate that we found a home there, the Snoqualmie River system included the three forks, the South fork was a ten minute walk from the house. That was the river that got me hooked on fly fishing. In those early years, before fly fishing became very popular the only way to learn was to read a book, so naturally after some trips to the library I was learning. I found a cheap fly rod, bought some flies, and started doing it. I was actually surprised at how fast it was to get a fish to take a fly! Even close to the bank.
I fly fished everywhere I could find fish. I worked lakes, streams, the big river and began to gain some control.
My favorite beginning pattern in Washington was the Adams Irresistible, the small trout would always go for it. The fly would ride high through riffles and was easy to see. It wasn't too long before Sandy became interested, and with that we began our annual family vacations to Yellowstone National Park. Those vacations opened our eyes to the wonders of Montana and Wyoming and turned us into complete fly fishing addicts. I must add that the course of our lives changed forever! The river is now my best friend, always honest and always healing for my spirit!

     

1 comment:

Give me feed back, makes it better...