Catch and Release

Connections to the River

Thursday, September 20, 2018

September 2018



The Old Man and The River  
As I approach my 70th birthday this winter, I can't help but take stock of myself and my relationship with the river. 
September brings out serious fly fishers. The casual caster has disappeared and bow hunters have taken to the mountains after elk and deer. Today I had breakfast in Ovando with friends, and on my way back I couldn't help notice the numbers of parked cars along the river. Must have been a dozen. Times two it adds up. This is a Thursday. Serious fishermen come when the fishing is at it's best. That's just the state of the Blackfoot River. My personal preference is to fish alone. Lots of bear talk during a conversation at The Blackfoot Angler and during breakfast. One man from Washington had forgotten his bear spray and was actually going to forgo buying a canister. I never spoke up again.
The Missouri River has been part of my fishing fun recently. Lots of vehicles by the late hour we get to the ramp, most drifters have left, leaving a good space of uncrowded water.
The first trout I caught were at the early stages of the trip. Such a fun place when the rainbows are taking! The river has a population of more than 5,000 fish per mile. It seems like an inflated number, but I can say the river has a very healthy number of big rainbows. Anymore and any bigger and my arm would be broken.
What an adventure this fishing season has been.  No doubt as interesting a season it has been for me.
September on the Blackfoot River
The Blackfoot has been great for fishing. After the spring floods, many stretches no longer have holes and log jams, but new ones have emerged to take their place. The mosquitoes have been seriously bad in many areas. wet marshes and in the woods. Deet has been a necessity for this man. 

I took a great trip down the Missouri River
Some log jams stayed put during the floods.
   


Madam X took this Cut Throat
Living in Montana is a blessing as beauty is everywhere. Convenience is a bit short, but most everything can be taken care of right in town. 
Cut Throat trout are an endangered species, harvesting is against the law. Brown trout however may be taken home and cooked up for dinner. The river has many Brown trout.
Brown Trout




Fall colors 

Brown Trout
great catch.



Pretty fish
Madam X



New holes

Going home 
Zebra midge





No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me feed back, makes it better...