Catch and Release

Connections to the River

Friday, March 2, 2018

The Winter of 17-18 Lincoln, Montana

Lincoln Montana



White Tailed Deer

I do love prowling the Blackfoot River for peace, quiet and spiritual healing. Catching trout is the bonus.


The day was cool, I was fishing alone on a stretch of river about 1/2 mile from my truck. Hiking through the woods to the river, picking my path through, its easy to turn and miss the trail. 
I keep my eyes peeled for any animals that also use the trail. 
I have encountered many animals on this stretch of the river, deer, moose and bears.
One afternoon, after fishing for hours, I was standing in the shadows tying on a fly, when I heard splashing just downstream. my hands were busy and my focus was on the fly, when I heard those duck like sounds. I looked up and to my surprise a huge black bear was crossing the river only 20 yards away. I felt some adrenaline, but it quickly turned to enjoyment as the bear only paused to look, then ambled into the woods. I always carry bear spray, the best option in case of conflict.


Black bear tracks are easy to recognize. The toes are marked with an arc, Grizzly bears have a straighter toe curve. 

Westslope Cut Throat Trout 

Clear, clean water

Big girth on this cuttie

Woolie Bugger

Quite the hole...caught many fine trout along this stretch
A summer dry fly

Cut throat spots

Brown trout spots

The spirit of the water

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me feed back, makes it better...