Catch and Release

Connections to the River

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Spring knocks along the Blackfoot River.

Winter is continuing to give up some great times along the river.  I was out twice last week, both trips were great for exercise and the fishing was good! I have been using nymphs, San Juan Worms and Woolly Bugger streamers to catch cutthroat trout with great success.Here in the Montana Rockies, the snow in lower elevations has been quickly melting away, opening up feeder creeks,and dispersing good trout food.
 It's an early spring and I wonder what the spring run-off will be like.  Last year it included minor flooding of the river, but even minor means that the rivers and creeks were very high and muddy. I took road trips to other rivers for fishing during that time, but this year is looking like it will not be a big deal. I believe seasonal spring run-off will continue to be a slow steady one, keeping things manageable. Oh yes, there will be times of high muddy water, but not anywhere like the high level of last season.
Grasses and wildflowers are coming soon, the beauty of spring is empowering to me, the energy is of renewal. Already small migratory birds are flitting about, and only a hint of what is just about to occur. I get excited watching them arrive, Blue birds, grosbeaks, woodpeckers, sparrows, redheaded cardinals, yellow birds and many I do not know by name. I want to share with you some recent photos, all of which were taken when my endorphins were flowing. If you are at your desk at work while you take a peek, keep it to a whisper..
 Ice lingers along the shore.
 Wild cutthroat trout.
I loved catching this one.
 Although all waterways are public in Montana, some places are difficult to get to without walking along the shore. This stretch near my home is such a place, but the owners are friends and have given me written permission to go past their "no trespassing"signs. 


 I impulsively walked up a different creek. I wandered into this shallow seasonal pond, and photographed a flock of canadian Honkers! I also slipped and fell in the mud! I took off all my top gear, down to my thermal shirt to dry out.
The geese were a highlight, taking off as I approached, and they were wonderful. Nesting must be going on along the shoreline. It was very windy, my clothes dried quickly and I picked up and wandered the nearby woods, looking all along for sheds. (antlers).
It is a pure joy to be at peace with myself and my destiny.

   An easy winter after all...
Thank You for reading my blog, I know that many of my readers cannot do this fun stuff in their lives, but want to so very much. I am very happy to share my world with you. One never knows what the future holds, your dreams may come true as well. I hope so...
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me feed back, makes it better...