Catch and Release

Connections to the River

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

April comes once a year

Fly Fishing for Wild Trout 
This year, 2015,  brought a shorter winter here in Western Montana.  The cold and snow was drastic during late November and December, so much that trucks and front loaders came and the huge piles of snow were loaded and trucked out of town. Our mountain snowpack reached 100% of normal, a condition that is bringing moderate runoff and no spring flooding. The Blackfoot River is today flowing high, swift and brown.  

My personal condition has been good, although a recent bout with COPD has kept me off the water for a week now. I am determined to be strong and well, so resting and patience are my best friends. My doctor is a fly fisher as well and understands my passion.

Brown's lake, not far down the highway is just perfect today for fishing along the edges of ice. The trout are coming from under the ice to feed  and successful anglers are out in force. I am tempted to go tomorrow, but I must restrain myself for the sake of  the up coming trips to the Missouri and the Clark's Fork Rivers. 

 Those that know me ,understand that I am a catch and release advocate. The pleasure of the release, is two fold. The fish lives to procreate and enhance the population density in the river, and I do not have to lug a creel with me to keep dead fish.
                                                    The wild westslope cutthroat trout
Cutthroat exhibit beautiful colors


Meanwhile the brown trout mingle with the cutthroats.

I really enjoyed this catch

I am an older fly fisher.  Having been involved with this passion since the late 80's, 
I know that I am "old School". I also know I have much to learn and am excited by the prospect 
of my future relationship to the waters that run through my life.
Thank you for reading my blog, it is a great experience for me to share with you,
 my love of fly fishing!
James Savstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me feed back, makes it better...